What is the FSW program

The Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program is run through the Express Entry system and assesses applicants for permanent residency using the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

Federal Skilled Workers are not required to have Canadian work experience to join the Express Entry pool.

Candidates must fulfill a minimum points requirement based on their work experience, language proficiency, and education, among other factors.

Within the pool, individuals with the highest competitive CRS scores will be invited to apply for Canadian permanent residency.

At least 12 months of continuous, full-time, skilled work experience completed within the previous 10 years (or an equal amount in part-time experience) is required in NOC Skill Level 0, A, or B level job.

Who is eligible?

A candidate must satisfy certain minimum criteria for the FSWP, such as years of experience, level of education, age, and English or French language ability. These requirements ensure that only candidates with the necessary skills and qualifications are considered.

Work Experience


A Canadian high school diploma or its equivalent in foreign education is necessary.

Language Proficiency

You must obtain a CLB level 7 or higher on an authorized English or French language test.

Financial Support

They must be able to afford their own living expenses and those of any spouse or children who may come with them to Canada.

Residence in Canada

You must be intending to reside outside of the province of Quebec.

A candidate must score at least 67 out of 100 points on the FSW eligibility point grid to along with meeting the requirements listed above.

Candidates who satisfy these criteria will be able to create an Express Entry profile.

However, applicants should be aware that they must satisfy Canada’s minimal admissibility standards. A person may be inadmissible to Canada for a variety of reasons, including criminal activities and medical conditions.

How to calculate CRS points

The Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) is a ranking and selection system used by Canada to assess candidates’ eligibility to join the Express Entry immigration program.Every two weeks, the IRCC administers Express Entry Draws. The candidates that meet the minimum CRS points or more will be invited to apply for permanent residence after receiving an Invitatio to Apply (ITA).

To determine your CRS score, use this calculator, or contact us.

Is proof of funds required

To apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program you will need to show that you meet the settlement funds requirement unless you:

  • are currently authorized to work in Canada, and
  • have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada.

For proof, you must provide official letters from any banks or financial institutions where you have money.

The amount of money required for settlement is determined by the number of members in your application.

Please see the table below for the amount of money you’ll need based on your family size.

Family membersFamily members funds required (CAD)
For each additional family member$3,586

Can I apply from outside of Canada

Yes. You may apply from outside Canada as long as you fulfil the FSW eligibility.

Nicola Wightman

Nicola Wightman is a regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) under the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC). Her professional immigration consultant number is R706497.

Read the blog

Learn about immigration to Canada, Express Entry, working in Canada, studying in Canada, and more.

six selection factors

What are the six selection factors for the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

The Federal Skilled Worker Program is designed to bring in immigrants with the skills…

LMIA business legitimacy

How to prove LMIA business legitimacy

When applying for a work permit, employers must demonstrate that they have met all the requirements…

skiing in banff; cover letter for ski season

Tips on writing a cover letter for ski season

If you’re looking for a job in the ski industry, it’s important…

Are you ready to get started, or not sure which option is best for you?

Let's get started

Contact Us

We will assess your eligibility for all of the Canadian immigration programs necessary and determine the most suitable option for you.

"*" indicates required fields