What are the requirements

To be eligible for FST, you must have worked in a skilled trade for at least two years (or an equivalent amount in part-time).

This must have taken place within the previous five years, and it only counts as work experience acquired after an individual has been authorized to practice their trade in their own country of citizenship.

Skilled trades are defined as follows in Canada's National Occupational Classification (NOC):

Major Group 72Industrial, electrical and construction trades
Major Group 73Maintenance and equipment operation trades
Major Group 82Supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
Major Group 92Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
Minor Group 632Chefs and cooks
Minor Group 633Butchers and bakers

Is proof of funds required

To apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Trades program, you will need to show that you meet the settlement funds requirement unless you:

  • are currently authorized to work in Canada, and
  • have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada.

For proof, you must have official correspondence from any banks or financial institutions where you keep money.

The amount of money necessary for settlement is determined by the number of members in your application.

Please see the chart below for how much money you’ll require based on your family size:

Family membersFamily members funds required (CAD)
For each additional family member$3,586

Can I apply from outside of Canada

Yes. You may apply from outside Canada as long as you fulfil the FST eligibility.

Read the blog

Learn about immigration to Canada, Express Entry, working in Canada, studying in Canada, and more.

celebrating permanent residency

7 ways of celebrating permanent residency in Canada

Becoming a permanent resident of Canada is an important milestone in anyone’s life. After…

living and working in Ontario

7 benefits of living and working in Ontario

Before we get into the 7 benefits of living and working in Ontario; let us tell you a little bit…

Visitor visa vs Super visa

Visitor visa vs Super visa

When planning for your parents or grandparents to visit you in Canada, it can be confusing when…

Are you ready to get started, or not sure which option is best for you?

Let's get started

Contact Us

We will evaluate you for the dozens of immigration programs available and let you know which one is best for you.

"*" indicates required fields