How to study in Canada?

Canada is a popular choice of country for international students due to the attractiveness of the country’s high academic standards which reflects the equally high-quality education earned to benefit them in the future.

How to choose an eligible program?

Provinces and territories approve (or “designate”) schools that can enrol international students. These schools are known as designated learning institutions (DLI).

If you need a study permit, your acceptance letter must be from a DLI. If it isn’t, your application will be refused.

All primary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs. You can search a list of the post-secondary schools, such as colleges and universities, and language schools that have been designated.

Once you have chosen a school, college or university, you must then apply to go there.

Student eligibility

  • Have a legal valid travel document (passport)
  • Proof of financial support including sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, living and return travel expenses (for both you and any family members coming to Canada with you)
  • Have no criminal convictions (police certificate(s) might be required)
  • Be in good health (a medical examination might be required)
  • Acceptance Letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada

How long is a study permit valid for?

The validity of a Student Permit depends on the level of education being applied for:

  • Primary schools (grades 1-8) – valid for 1 year and can be renewed in Canada
  • Secondary school (grades 9-12), college or university – valid for the same length as the study program, plus 90 days (maximum 4 years)

When is a Study Permit required?

  • The program is longer than 6 months in duration
  • The program requires a coop or internship
  • A minor is accompanying a parent(s) who is in Canada as a visitor
  • The person is from a visa-exempt country

When is a Study Permit not required?

  • Program of 6 months or less in duration
  • Family or staff member of a foreign representative accredited by Global Affairs Canada
  • Member of a foreign armed force under the visiting forces act
  • Citizen of another country with registered Indian status in Canada
  • Minor children attending preschool or kindergarten
  • Minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants
  • Minor children in Canada accompanying a parent who is allowed to work or study in Canada, and will attend preschool, primary or secondary school (in Quebec CAQ may be required)

Proof of Funds

Persons coming to CanadaAmount of funds required per year (doesn’t include tuition)Amount of funds required per month (additional to the tuition)
You (the student)CAN$10,000CAN$833
First family memberCAN$4,000CAN$333
Every additional accompanying family memberCAN$3,000CAN$255